June 22, 2011

Draft Mania. Kyle's opinions on this years NBA Draft.

     Alot of us Jazz fans have been waiting since mid-february for this draft. When Dwill was traded, we learned that we were gaining a lotto pick via trade for the second straight year. We all figured that it would range from probably 5-8, and some of us starting looking at prospects in that range. The draft was still months away, the Jazz were projected to take some dude named Harrison Barnes w/ the #6 pick (ohh the irony). But then May 17th came, a day most of us were looking forward too, the Draft Lottery.

     The Jazz are not known for having great luck in the lotto, but thanks to some lucky cuff links worn by yours truely, KOC, the Jazz were somehow able to sneak into the top 3 picks. We all know how the rest of the story goes, the Jazz get the #3 pick in a "2 player" draft. Before the lotto many teams had us projected to take Brandon Knight at #6 (after all the other kids went back to school), and now we were at #3 and many teams still had us taking the same player. It was an odd feeling, an upsetting one. We were so close to the #2 and #1 picks that it is not even funny. I still dream about having the chance to choose between Irving and Williams, but it will not happen.

     Thankfully, I have moved past most of the sad "what could have been's" and have started looking at the "what could be's". For the Jazz, this is probably the most important draft in franchise history, with the Dwill traded still being judged, having 2 lotto picks, and even the chance to draft or pass up The Jimmer, KOC's very life could be at risk. Tommorow (sp?) is going to be a fun day, the anticipation is unreal at this point. But anyways, enough with the talk, here are all the names, numbers, and other draft stuff that I have been working on.


I made 6 different mock drafts. Yes 6; I promise you that it is legal. Why did I make so many? Well what do you expect, I have been waiting months for this day, I needed something to pass the time.. But really, I'm just putting different variables into different mocks. Don't worry, I do have a final/official mock that I will stand by as my final product.

Mock #1

This mock, my very first, is the one done with very little research, just having teams take the obvious picks, it is an outline for me.


#1CavsIrving,Kyrie
#2WolvesWilliams,Derrick
#3JazzKnight,Brandon
#4CavsKanter,Enes
#5RaptorsWalker,Kemba
#6WizardsVesely,Jan
#7KingsLeonard,Kawhi
#8PistonsValanciunas,Jonas
#9BobcatsBiyombo,Bismack
#10BucksBurks,Alec
#11WarriorsMorris,Marcus
#12JazzFredette,Jimmer
#13SunsThompson,Tristan
#14RocketsThompson,Klay


Do I agree w/ all this ^ still? No, but I am not changing it, because I am putting most of my eggs in my final one.

Mock #2

This draft is based a little more on a few of my hunches. Workouts play an important role in this mock.


#1CavsIrving,Kyrie
#2WolvesWilliams,Derrick
#3JazzKanter,Enes
#4CavsVesely,Jan
#5RaptorsKnight,Brandon
#6WizardsLeonard,Kawhi
#7KingsFredette,Jimmer
#8PistonsBiyombo,Bismack
#9BobcatsKlay,Thompson
#10BucksBrooks,Marshon
#11WarriorsBurks,Alec
#12JazzWalker,Kemba
#13SunsThompson,Tristan
#14RocketsValanciunas,Jonas



Mock #3

This is one of my more crazy mocks. I have a bunch of theorys and hunches and I put them on the table here.


#1CavsIrving,Kyrie
#2WolvesKanter,Enes
#3JazzWilliams,Derrick
#4CavsBiyombo,Bismack
#5RaptorsKnight,Brandon
#6WizardsValanciunas,Jonas
#7KingsFredette,Jimmer
#8PistonsWalker,Kemba
#9BobcatsMorris,Marcus
#10BucksLeonard,Kawhi
#11WarriorsVesely,Jan
#12JazzBurks,Alec
#13SunsSingleton,Chris
#14RocketsThompson,Tristan


This ^ one is probably the least likely out of all my mocks. But you never know what will come draft day, and that is why I made that one.

Mock #4

I take some of the workout factor in this one, and add a few random hunches.


#1CavsIrving,Kyrie
#2WolvesWilliams,Derrick
#3JazzKanter,Enes
#4CavsLeonard,Kawhi
#5RaptorsKnight,Brandon
#6WizardsValanciunas,Jonas
#7KingsWalker,Kemba
#8PistonsBiyombo,Bismack
#9BobcatsMorris,Marcus
#10BucksBurks,Alec
#11WarriorsVesely,Jan
#12JazzThompson,Klay
#13SunsHarris,Tobias
#14RocketsThompson,Tristan



Okay, now all the boring ones are done.

Mock # 5

This is my dream draft.


#1Cavs
#2Wolves
#3JazzIrving,Kyrie
#4Cavs
#5Raptors
#6Wizards
#7KingsFredette,Jimmer
#8Pistons
#9Bobcats
#10Bucks
#11Warriors
#12JazzBiyombo,Bismack
#13Suns
#14Rockets


Fill in the blanks, I honestly don't care. Oh and add the fact that all 4 Laker picks in the second round are busts and I'll be even more happy.

*drum roll* (please)

Mock #6, the final-

This is my official mock, the one where I add in all the obviousness, hunches, variables, and even some random guesses. Do I think this is what is going to happen? No, but it's my best guess.


#1CavsIrving,Kyrie
#2WolvesWilliams,Derrick
#3JazzKnight,Brandon
#4CavsKanter,Enes
#5RaptorsBiyombo,Bismack
#6WizardsVesely,Jan
#7KingsLeonard,Kawhi
#8PistonsWalker,Kemba
#9BobcatsMorris,Marcus
#10BucksBurks,Alec
#11WarriorsThompson,Klay
#12JazzSingleton,Chris
#13SunsThompson,Tristan
#14RocketsValanciunas,Jonas


I'll explain myself a little on this one (since it is my final draft and all (pun intended? no) ). The first four picks are all pretty basic. Will they all happen like this? Maybe, maybe not, we do not know if Kahn is going to "Kahn" us or not, and no one really knows what good ole KOC is thinking, but I'm going w/ the safe picks this early.

#5 is my first stretch, Chad Ford said that Raptors are looking at Bismack and Jan, and if Brandon is gone then they are likely to go w/ Vesely, I say Bismack, we will see..

At #6 it is obvious that the Wiz want Kanter, he won't fall that far, so I'm guessing they take another Euro in Vesely.

I think Leonard got a promise from the pistons at #8, but I don't think the Kings pass on him at #7, I don't think they should either.

My two best guesses for the Pistons would be Biyombo and Leonard, but since both are off the board I'm going w/ a hunch in Kemba Walker.

I originally had Jonas. V. going here, but w/ Marcus Morris back in for another workout with the Bobcats today, things are starting to point towards him being there man.

Burks to the Bucks at #10 is another one of my obvious picks, some say Klay Thompson fits with the Bucks better, I say that Burks is the better player.

Klay being drafted by GS with the #11 was another somewhat obvious pick. I was  a little torn between him and Singleton here, but I don't think they pass up the shooter.

#12 for the Jazz was definately a tough one. The Jazz have alot of holes to fill, with defense, shooting, rebounding, etc. But I like the chances of them taking the best defender in the draft in Singleton. A Knight/Singleton draft would not dissapoint me as a Jazz fan.

At #13 I went with Tristan. I Still think that the suns are looking to fill the gap that Amare left. Not saying he will be as good as Amare, but its a step.

Yes I know, call me crazy, but I let Jonas V. slip all the way to Houston at the #14. This is as far as I see him slipping, and honestly I am a little unsure with this decision. I just feel like most teams would rather take their comfortable pick then a risk on a player they won't see for a while. I want the Jazz to pick him at #12 by the way.

And there it is. Sorry for the messy explanations, excel hasn't been too nice to me lately.

Wait.. You want more? Well since I am a nice guy and all, here is are some bonus...


My Sleeperzzzz
    1    Burks,Alec
2  Harris,Tobias
3  Thompson,Tristan
4  Leonard,Kawhi
5  Singleton,Chris




My busts (wait, I hate predicting busts, oh well..)
1Thompson,Klay
2Morris,Marcus



My BIG iffys (I say BIG iffys because everyone in this draft is iffy)
1  Kanter,Enes
2  Williams,Derrick
3  Biyombo,Bismack
4  Fredette,Jimmer
5  Walker,Kemba
6  Brooks,Marshon



My "Want" Board (This is NOT me ranking players, just how much I want certain players. For instance, I want Biyombo at the 12 more than I want Knight at the 3)
1Irving,Kyrie3
2Williams,Derrick3
3Leonard,Kawhi12
4Biyombo,Bismack12
5Burks,Alec12
6Knight,Brandon3
7Valanciunas,Jonas12
8Walker,Kemba12
9Vesely,Jan12
10Singleton,Chris12
11Fredette,Jimmer12
12Thompson,Tristan12
13Kanter,Enes3
(I stop at 13 because I can)


Sorry once again for the messyness, it looks all weird due to excel hating me. But there you have it!

I know I have said this like 1000000x, but seriously can't wait till tommorow (sp?), we will finally be able to start looking a little further into the future.

*I will be going to the draft party, and I will not boo. Well probably not, I mean I didn't boo last year or anyting (I really didn't, I kinda just stood there, wondering, WTH? haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment