June 24, 2011

First thoughts on draft.

Its over. We waited months, then weeks, then days, then hours for the draft to start, and now, its over. Who did I expect, well at first it was Knight and Singleton/Burks. But as the day progressed further and further yesterday, I had a sure feeling we were going to take Kanter. And we all know how the rest goes, the top 3 picks are all semi-obvious, then the draft gets crazy. So crazy that Knight slips to 8, followed by Kemba and Jimmer, then Burks some how lands in our hands and Kawhi falls all the way to 15, crazy.

Am I happy? Yes, cautiously. I have been pretty anti-kanter for 2 main reasons, we don't have room for him, and he doesn't play defense. Do I think that he was BPA, yes I do. Even though I wanted Knight, I still had a gut feeling that Kanter was the better player.

Its funny, after the combine Kanter didn't interview or whatever with the Jazz, and he said he wanted to be a Wizard. That was a complete turnoff for us Jazz fans, we felt that Kanter didn't want to be here. Ironically enough, the kid couldn't be happier. Playing for the team he followed since he was young, playing w/ one of his favorite players in Memo, and going to one of the best  the best fan base in the NBA. His joy in coming here is great for a Jazz fan to hear, especially w/ so many of us cautious about new players since we traded Dwill. Is Kanter the best fit for the Jazz? No, not really. He is going to be a better player than Fez and Elson, so we sorta got a "free upgrade" as Amar would say it. Can he be the best fit for the Jazz? There is a good chance. We can't have a 4 man rotation though, atleast w/ that much $ invested into it. I mean, Favors is going to need time, alot more next season. And so is Kanter, but what about Sap and Al? I mean, you can't turn one of the two into a 10 min a game guy. Definately feels like someone is going to be traded here. We will see.

What about Burks? Love the pick. He has been the main guy I have wanted at 12 for a while now, and I am super excited to get him. I think that he is an automatic upgrade over Bell and could easily be better than CJ miles. Ppl say his shooting is a concern, I think that they are making to big of a deal about that. Remember people, gordo shot like 30 percent in his last college season (from 3). Can he be a starter for the Jazz? This season? Maybe, I mean, anyone is an upgrade over Bell, but it all depends on what the Jazz do w/ CJ and AK. If he starts next season, he would definately have to earn the spot from CJ or Gordo (dependin on the CJ/AK situation, like I said), but there is definately a chance that he does so. I like his game, I love that he plays w/ a chip on his shoulder, kid could something special.

It's interesting that the Jazz didn't draft a point guard. Now I do understand that we have Devin Harris, but is he the PG of the future, w/ a team that has a core of young players like Burks, Kanter, Favors, Gordo, CJ? Idk, the Jazz did say they actually wanted him in the Dwill trade, and he wasn't just a thrown in piece. Next years draft is full of wings and forwards, do we get a pg in that draft. Honestly I don't want to, I want my pg to be one of my more experienced players. So at this point, Harris does work out.

What do I grade the Jazz's draft? Well I think they made the most out of both picks, they didn't pick The Jimmer or trade to pick him out of pressure. But there main pick didn't address needs... I give it an A- as of now, but if all pans out, and the Jazz workout the PF/C logjam is could easily be a A++.

No comments:

Post a Comment